Friday, January 15, 2010

Student Motivation


I have found that most students are only extrinsically motivated these days. They do not seem to have a desire to learn just for the sake of learning. They want something in return for learning: grades, money, gifts, etc. I want to be able to give my students the desire to learn because they have an interest or feel challenged enough to tackle a problem just so they can solve it. Motivating students is a wonderful site that gives great ideas on motivating students and a lot of resources.
I am very excited about starting Globaloria in a week. I think it will be just the motivation some of my non-motivated students need.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you extrinsic rewards are what initially motivates students. I try to use extrinsic motivators to bring out intrinsic motivators in my students. I'm glad you have joined Globaloria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for this website. I find it very useful and hope to utilize some of the ideas presented there. Good luck with the semester!

    ReplyDelete